Tuesday 22 March 2011

Dead Space 2: Severed (Spoiler Alert)


Developer: Visceral Games
Console: DLC on Xbox 360, PS3 
Genre: Horror survival, third-person shooter
Rating: Mature 17+

Well the Dead Space 2 fest continues on Game Hedz, and the short 2-chapter Severed DLC gets even higher ratings than its full-length bigger brother! Here's why:

Severed is way scarier than DS2 - but only because of DS2. You play Gabe Weller, Sprawl denizen (I love that word 'denizen'), who is desperately trying to save his pregnant wife from Unitologist loyalists during the same 'outbreak' Isaac wakes up to in the main story. You essentially go back on Isaac's path, passing through the mines and hospital wing (among other places) where Clarke's nightmare begins. As such you are filled with dread at the daunting familiarity of the setting - only it all looks much worse as you navigate the remnants of the Isaac/Necromorph carnage. 

The game somehow feels fresh and more savage with what appears to be stronger, faster Nercos - maybe it's just my mind playing tricks on me (it tends to do that), but the mind game is the horror. You start the game in media res (look it up - I had to) and so are equipped with partially upgraded weapons and have access to some of the equipment garnered in DS2, if you sprang the cash for the DLC equipment/suit/weapons packs - which are just ok, if you ask me. 

The story pulls you in, and unlike DS2's plot line, this one has you asking more questions, and even suggests some possibility of a sequel, despite the finality of the ending. 

Frankly, if you've enjoyed  the Dead Space experience you will love Severed - it's intense, bloody, edgy and even kind of heart-wrenching (I didn't cry...alot). And oh, when last I checked it wasn't available on PC. Depending on your skill level and the difficulty setting you could finish it in a couple hours, and there are a few achievements to be had too. 

To play it, insert the DS2 disc 1, and select 'new game'. It will give you the option to play Severed. 

Oh, importantly, while I was writing this blog I won passes for me n' 4 friends to the Aloft Hotel splash pool (I think it's a pool), here in Abu Dhabi, courtesy of Radio 1's Sheena Show (I was not, repeat, not forced by Sheena on national radio to include this in my blog, and if that thought crossed your mind, shame on you!)! Thanks Sheena you rock (also not forced to say by use of radio presenter Jedi mind tricks, I think). 

Score: 9.5/10  Recommendation: Get it and get it now! 

No comments:

Post a Comment