Wednesday 20 April 2011

Gears-3-Multiplayer-Beta-Limbo is Almost Like Waiting-on-My-iPad 2-Limbo

Yes I am in Limbo with, arguably, two of the most wanted items of 2011. 

Precious metal
I pre-ordered my Gears 3 a few days back, just to see if I could, by some miracle, enjoy the MP Beta that started, officially, on April 18 for Bulletstorm Epic Edition owners. Now the risk I took is that I'm currently in the UAE, and we are kind of off the map when it comes game launches etc - it may not even be available in our region. But the benefit of being overlooked is that sometimes they don't block access. If I get a code it will be sent via email tomorrow, the 21st of April (and I can join the festival of blood spatter on the 25th!). 

Admittedly, I was really tempted to see how I could nab my friend's copy of whatever it was he nabbed that allowed him to play the Gears MP Beta on the 17th (ahh bootleg world where would we be without ye?)! But I thought - I really shouldn't. But (and there's always a but), if I don't get the code tomorrow...I think I really should. But that's just a thought, nothing more! I am a law bitin' citizen. Wish me luck, I made this sacrifice for all UAE Gear Hedz, but this is longest wait ever, followed only by...the longest wait ever: iPad 2 delivery. 

Toying with our emotions...nnnnnyah!
The iPad officially arrived at UAE Apple resellers and dealerships just about a week before the iPad 2 was launched in the US. But the 'grey market' in the UAE had the iPad at the exact moment it launched everywhere else - same for the iPad 2, but for more than twice the price. So, I was not going to service the grey market, because I have grey matter. Buying it from the UK and getting it shipped here will likely cost less than the bloated costs here, and that's including my smart cover and avi adaptor! Still the price one pays for such prudence is equal to the gestation period of a 20 pound baby that's three months overdue. It's been a tough pregnancy. The hot flashes, the nausea, the irritability, the frantic and obsessive checking of email and due date. 

Not just for me though. Judging by the over 2,000 posts and 300,000 views of 'iPad 2 Shipping' thread on Apple's community support site - there's a lot of iPad anxiety and iPad envy going on. The begrudging inner twitch at those who have enjoyed successful deliveries and share with cavalier glee about the wonderful times they and the new addition to their family share. Sigh.  I would not want to be Rob the customer service guy right now (thanks for the update Rob) cause he get's the brunt of all the pent up resentment at the perceived neglect of delivery room staff. 

Anyway, I wait impatiently and with much nervous energy for the advents thus! Of course, after all the excitement, I'll have to go through it all again for Gears 3 in September, and maybe, the iPad 3...in September. Rumours abound

Jah guide.

UPDATE:

I got the Gears 3 Beta code just now, but have yet to try it out on XBox Live. I have been told that it can only be accessed by VPN, but I don't know how to get that done on the XBox yet. If anyone has any suggestions....








No comments:

Post a Comment